You can organise a garage sale if you want to sell old items quickly.
This article will give you tips and advice on how to organise a garage sale and sell as many items as possible to the highest bidder!
1. Advertise your garage sale!
Once you have taken the various steps to organise your garage sale, you need to advertise the event. For this, you can use several tools and communication channels such as:
- Social networks: Facebook is a powerful and effective tool to advertise your garage sale. Choose groups from your neighbourhood or town, which will help to spread the word about the event. It will also help target the public that will potentially be interested in the garage sale.
- Flyers: to organise a garage sale properly, there is nothing better than printing flyers and distributing them in your neighbourhood. You can also put them on car windscreens.
- Websites: There are also websites where you can promote your garage sale. Websites for selling used objects in general or specialised sites are effective ways of advertising your garage sale.
- Itinerary: Once you have made your neighbours and other residents aware of the garage sale, potential buyers should be able to find your home easily. The best way to do this is by putting up small directional signs in your neighbourhood so that everyone can easily find the garage sale. You can decorate the entrance to your home with a few balloons to add a touch of fun!
2. How to organise the garage sale in my home?
The success of a garage sale requires some organisation: the display of objects, taking into account the neighbourhood… Here is a checklist for organising a garage sale:
- Warn the neighbours: a good relationship with the neighbours is essential for good cohabitation, so it is important to warn the neighbours of potential nuisances and the inconvenience that this may cause.
- Choosing the right venue: it is essential to choose the right place to hold a garage sale. It can be a garden, but you might need to protect it in case of bad weather. Alternatively, it may be the home, but you should take precautions to secure your possessions. A garage can be the ideal place to hold a garage sale.
- Secure your belongings: remember to put items you don’t want to sell in a locked room to avoid theft or breakage.
- Manage the crowds: on the sale day, you will most likely have to deal with many visitors. It is therefore important to plan for the help of relatives to manage the crowds in the best possible way.
- Estimate the price of each item: to sell the items in your garage sale, it is essential to make a good price estimate for each item.
- Highlight your items for sale: the presentation of the items you wish to sell is very important for the success of your garage sale. For example, you can use a large board that you can put on trestles. Then add a nice cover to highlight the items for sale.
- Classify the objects: you can classify the objects by family: clothes, books, computer equipment, decorative objects, etc.
- Specify the prices: this is certainly the longest step but it is essential to be able to organise a garage sale in the best conditions. You can check the price of each item on the internet to make sure it is as fair as possible. They should be visible and shouldn’t be too high to avoid missing out on sales. Feel free to negotiate the price of each item at the end of the day to encourage sales.
3. Things to bring to your garage sale
To organise a garage sale in the best conditions, it is essential to have certain tools at hand such as:
- Change: get coins to give change to visitors. You can get a bag or a small box to store the change.
- Protection against bad weather: If the garage sale takes place outside, it is preferable to have parasols or tarpaulins to be protected from the rain.
- Snacks: Add a touch of conviviality by providing drinks.
- Plastic bags and cardboard boxes: Provide plastic bags so that customers can easily take the items away. Or cardboard boxes if the items are fragile, such as crockery.
- Tests for electronic objects: You can provide a power outlet and batteries to test the items and show the buyers that they work properly.
So all you need to do is remember these ideas and decide how you want to do your garage sale. Then get started!
Discover how Weezevent’s solutions can help you organise your event with peace of mind by clicking on the button below: